Coronavirus Recovery: advice and latest information

Visas and Immigration

International @Campuslife offer comprehensive visa advice for students

Detail of passport and visa

Which visa do I need?

If you are an EU or EEA national coming to study at the UK you, currently, will not need to apply for immigration permission to study in the UK. However, this will change from 1st January 2021 and so, if you are planning to come to the UK around or after that date you should look at the University information regarding EU students. For January start students, you may choose to arrive before 31st December 2020 as this would make you eligible for the EU Settlement Scheme (details via the link above)

If you are a visiting or exchange student you will also be able to find information on the University's Go Global web pages.


If you are of a another nationality from outside the UK you may need immigration (a visa) to study in the UK. You can check whether you need a visa by entering your details in the Gov.UK website It is very easy to check as you just enter your Nationality, that you are studying and the length of your course. The site will then inform you whether you need a visa and if you do, which visa you need.

If you are coming for a course of less than 6 months or for a short visit as part of a distance learning course then you will need to apply for a Short term student visa

If you need to apply for a Tier 4 Visa see our helpful guide to Making a Tier 4 visa application overseas or from within the UK. 

If you are already in the UK on a Tier 4 or other visa (e.g. PBS dependant, Tier 1 or 2) you may already be eligible to study with us. If you would like help verifying your status, please send a copy of your visa to the International @Campuslife team via email and they will check your options with you. 

Part time study under Tier 4

Although current Tier 4 regulations do not prohibit students from studying part-time on a postgraduate course of more than 6 months, it is important to understand the considerations around this. Students will only be able to study part-time on a UK course that has a designated validated part-time route. Currently, Swansea University courses are only validated under full time routes for the purposes of Tier 4 and so cannot be studied part time. 

It is also important to understand that part-time Tier 4 students are prohibited from all work (including work placements), cannot bring dependants to the UK with them and cannot extend their visa from within the UK. If you are thinking of studying part time, you must also make sure that you can complete the course (and any additional progression course) within the UK government time limits on study. Please see the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) for further information about eligibility and time caps.

If you are planning on bringing dependants to the UK with you, please see our comprehensive Information for Families.

Please note that if you are coming as an academic visitor, researcher or for a short visit as part of an excahnge then the University will tell you direct which is the correct visa to apply for. Though you may also like to look at our Visiting Academics and Researchers section.

Lost passport or Biometric Resident Permit (visa card) 

If you have lost your essential documents, please read the comprehensive information either via the side bar navigation or the picture link below.