- Director, Institute of Structural Materials, Swansea University
- Director, Rolls-Royce University Technology Centre in Materials
- Chief Executive Officer, Swansea Materials Research & Testing Ltd (SMaRT)
- A. Joint Honours in Physics and Geology, University of Keele, 1983
- PhD “Fracture and flow in normal and anomalous glasses”, University of Keele, 1989
Over 35 years of experience in the mechanical characterisation of advanced materials, with particular interests in conventional titanium, nickel alloys and ceramic matrix composites. Member of the ESIS affiliated High Temperature Materials Test Committee and British Standards Institution ACE/61 committee. Member of the Editorial Board of International Journal of Fatigue. Named author on >70 International Journal and >100 Conference papers.